Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What the F*** is a Geoduck?

So I'm sitting on the airplane watching random YouTube videos and I start watching a series of videos on Top Chef winner Hung Huynh.  He's got a video on how to cook a geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck").  My immediate thought was that a geoduck must be some sort of poultry...perhaps something in the duck family?  Nope.  Not the case at all.  It's actually a shellfish in the clam family!  AND IT IS HUGE....and ugly.

This is the video that got me interested...



Now, I generally don't like shellfish.  I always try them when someone has prepared them or someone offers up a piece of their dinner.  I want to find that one recipe that will make clams or oysters or abalone or geoduck my absolute favorite food....something that will have me walking away awestruck.   So far though...no such luck.  My current opinion is that shellfish are slimy and chewy and far too raw tasting (even when cooked).  But I digress. I want to try a Geoduck.

Apparently this monster called the Geoduck is a native to North America's Northwest coast (Washington's Puget Sound) and Canada and they live for about 146 years!  Holy cow (holy clam?)!  They are the largest burrowing clam and are only seen at extreme low tides.  They can grow up to 15 pounds (possibly more).



Alright, enough about the Geoduck.  Your task?  Bring me a Geoduck so I (we?) can try taste it...raw and cooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment