Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spice, Sweet, Tropical, Healthy, AND Delicious!

Tonight, I decided I should probably cook something instead of buying something.  I also decided that I'm too lazy to head to the store...I've called it a day already.  So what do I have in my cupboards?

I've got all this random stuff.  I found some coconut milk..which made me thing "ooh!  coconut rice!"  But, of course, I don't have rice.  I DO have pasta though!  What else should I use?  How the F do I have pineapple?  Why do I have all this random stuff?

So here's what I ended up using...

1 can coconut milk
1 can cubed pineapple
Crushed red pepper
Saffron
Ground ginger
Salt
2 whole cloves
Some leftover turkey from class
Golden raisins
Frozen stir-fry veggies (I picked out the carrots and sugar snap peas b/c I don't like the other veggies (these were mainly just to add color anyway))
Mirin (a Japanese rice wine)
And some vanilla flavored vodka (which I probably could have done w/o but I thought it might add an interesting flavor)
Sesame oil

I think that's all I used.  Hah...didn't write it down as I was doing it.  Whatevs.

Anyways, I mixed the coconut milk and juice from the can of pineapple (saved the pineapple pieces for later) in a saucepan along with probably about 1/4c crushed red pepper, about a 1/4tsp crushed saffron, a pinch of ground ginger, a dash of salt, the cloves, maybe about 1/2 c of Mirin, and a splash of the vanilla vodka.

I let it come to a boil then I threw in the pasta (I used mini fusilli...but the type of pasta doesn't matter) and cooked until the pasta was al dente.

While the pasta was cooking, I diced about a cup of the turkey breast (about 1/4in dice) and sauted it with some of the pineapple in a pan that was preheated with about 1tbsp sesame oil.

I mixed some of that into the pasta while it was still cooking.  I then used a slotted spoon to separate the solids from the liquids in the pasta pot and put the solids into a separate bowl.

I took out about 1/4 cup of the sauce and mixed it with about 1tbsp cornstarch to make a slurry to thicken the sauce a bit.  I put the slurry back in the sauce and added the leftover pineapple pieces.  I simmer that while I cooked the frozen veggies in the microwave.  When the veggies were done, I picked out the pieces I wanted and threw them in with the pasta.  And then at the very last minute, I threw the golden raisins into the sauce pot (because I forgot about them until then) and let them cook for about a minute or 2.

Transfer sauce to bowl of pasta, mix, serve, eat.  Spicy....sweet....tropical....delicious....healthy!

Got my fruits, veggies, breads, and meats.  No dairy...but I think I eat enough cheese to last a lifetime.

Anyhow, here's a crappy picture...

No comments:

Post a Comment