Thursday, April 8, 2010

American Cuisine Week 1: Southern Cuisine

Banana Pudding
I was actually kind of surprised at how simple the banana pudding turned out to be.  The toughest part (for me at least) was figuring out presentation and how to brown the meringue on top without putting the glass in the salamander.
I ended up piping the meringue onto parchment paper on a sheet tray (multiple times) and placing the sheet tray in the salamander.  I then chose my best meringue and very carefully peeled it off the parchment with an icing spatula.
For garnish (on the plate), I tried to caramelize some bananas but my attempt didn’t turn out so well and if I’d have tried a second time, I would have been late presenting. I do think the decision to put the Banana pudding into a glass was an excellent decision.  It turned out beautifully.


No comments:

Post a Comment