Thursday, April 22, 2010

American Cuisine Week 3: Cajun Cuisine

Roasted Eggplant and Oysters
Well, once again, we didn’t have all the ingredients we needed.  No eggplant.  Not initially at least.  After I had already started working with the zucchini that was provided, eggplant magically appeared.  I decided to use both in this recipe to give it my own little touch (because I love both eggplant and zucchini).  
It took a while to shuck the oysters.  I had never done it before but I was determined to learn.  And I have been making a point of not making the dessert each week (even though I really, really, really want to).  In my eyes, this was the most difficult recipe because we had to shuck the oysters.  I’m glad I learned though.  That is definitely a skill that is comparable to riding a bike:  once you learn, you never forget.
The oyster dish was surprisingly delicious.  I’m not exactly a fan of shellfish but forced myself to try these.  I think the thing that turns me off the most is slurping them out of the shell.  When you’re eating them as part of a dish, it’s hard to tell they’re even there.





(That's a Muffaletta on the left)

No comments:

Post a Comment